Bushwick is a working-class neighborhood in the northern part of the Brooklyn, New York City borough of Brooklyn. It is bounded by the neighborhood community of Ridgewood, Queens, to the northeast; Williamsburg to the northwest; East New York and the cemeteries of Highland Park to the southeast; Brownsville to the south; and Bedford–Stuyvesant to the southwest.
The town was first founded by the Dutch during the Dutch colonization of the Americas in the 17th century. In the 19th century, the neighborhood became a community of German immigrants and their descendants. The 20th century saw an influx of Italian immigrants and Italian-Americans up to the 1980s. By the late 20th century, the neighborhood became predominantly Hispanic as another wave of immigrants arrived. Formerly Brooklyn’s 18th Ward, the area was once an independent town and has undergone various territorial changes throughout its history.
Bushwick’s borders largely overlap those of Brooklyn Community Board 4, delineated by Flushing Avenue on the north, Broadway on the southwest, the border with Queens to the northeast, and the Cemetery of the Evergreens on the southeast. The industrial area north of Flushing Avenue, east of Bushwick Avenue and south of Grand Street is commonly considered East Williamsburg. However, it is also widely included in Bushwick, occasionally with “Industrial Bushwick.”
The town of Bushwick—which, along with Breukelen and Bedford, became incorporated as the city of Brooklyn on January 1, 1854—included present-day Williamsburg and Greenpoint. Before the merger, in the early 19th century, residential development began when Williamsburg’s new district was laid out in western Bushwick. Williamsburg was incorporated in 1827 and officially severed from Bushwick in 1839. Present-day East Williamsburg, which was not part of the city of Williamsburg, was initially organized primarily as Brooklyn’s 18th Ward from the annexation of Bushwick. Now part of Brooklyn Community District 1, East Williamsburg sections are sometimes considered part of Bushwick. Top Brooklyn Electrician
In 1638, the Dutch West India Company secured a deed from the local Lenape people for the Bushwick area. Peter Stuyvesant chartered the area in 1661, naming it Boswijck, meaning “neighborhood in the woods” in 17th-century Dutch. Its scope included the modern-day communities of Bushwick, Williamsburg, and Greenpoint. Bushwick was the last of the original six Dutch towns of Brooklyn established within New Netherland.
- Cheri’s Bedstuy is located at 216 Malcolm X Blvd, Brooklyn, NY
- El Kucho is located at 141 Wilson Ave, Brooklyn, NY
- Maite is located at 159 Central Ave, Brooklyn, NY
Check out other neighborhoods like Caroll Gardens